The January transfer window is now closed and Arsenal have all the players they will be able to use for the rest of the season, so how did they do?
On the whole, Arsenal has had a decent transfer window, despite missing out on their top targets.
Mikel Arteta aimed to strengthen the squad in key areas and sporting director Edu delivered by securing new additions, although there has been some grumbling from certain fan quarters.
An injury to Gabriel Jesus brought to light the need for depth in the final third, and Mykhaylo Mudryk was identified as the perfect candidate.
However, while Arsenal willing to pay Shakhtar’s £89 million asking price, they were not prepared to match Chelsea’s offer of an eight-and-a-half year contract, allowing the Blues to sign him, along with everybody else. Chelsea ended the January window having spent more than every club from the top five leagues in Europe combined.
This opened the door for the acquisition of Leandro Trossard, who was unhappy at Brighton and was signed by Arsenal after just two days of negotiations.
Jakub Kiwior was signed from Spezia to add cover on the left side of central defence, and Jorginho was brought in from Chelsea for £12 million to add experience to the dressing room.
Moises Caicedo was a top target, but Brighton’s refusal to sell made it clear he wouldn’t be joining Arsenal, at least not in this window, anyway.
Several young talents were sent out on loan, including Omar Rekik, Brooke Norton-Cuffy, and Marquinhos, as well as Cedric, and Albert Sambi Lokonga.
Cedric’s loan move also freed up space in the wage bill given he was earning a ridiculous £100kpw.
In the list below, I’ve included all moves within the club for the men’s, women’s and youth teams. If you would like a more in-depth look at the women’s transfer window, you can find that here.
Let’s take a look at the deals Arsenal completed:
- Kido Taylor-Hart has joined Derby County on loan.
- Billy Vilgar has joined Derby County on loan.
- Albert Sambi Lokonga has joined Crystal Palace on loan.
- Nathan Butler-Oyedeji has joined Accrington Stanley on loan.
- Cedric Soares has joined Fulham on loan.
- Arsenal have signed Jorginho from Chelsea.
- Arsenal have recalled Omar Rekik from Sparta Rotterdam and sent him on loan to Wigan Athletic.
- Marquinhos has joined Norwich City on loan.
- Tom Smith has been recalled from Bromley and has joined Colchester United on loan.
- Arsenal have signed Jakub Kiwior from Spezia Calcio.
- Arsenal have signed Leandro Trossard from Brighton.
- Harry Clarke has joined Ipswich Town on a permanent deal.
- Ovie Ejeheri has joined SJK Seinajoki on loan.
- Mana Iwabuchi has joined Tottenham on loan.
- Arthur Okonkwo has joined SK Sturm Graz on loan.
- Sabrina D’Angelo has signed on a permanent deal from Vittsjo GIK.
- Miguel Azeez has joined Wigan on loan after his loan with UD Ibiza was cancelled.
- Gio Queiroz has been recalled from her loan with Everton.
- Kathrine Kuhl has signed on a permanent deal from FC Nordsjælland.
- Brooke Norton-Cuffy has joined Coventry on loan.
- Victoria Pelova has signed on a permanent deal from Ajax.
- Jordan Nobbs has signed for Aston Villa on a permanent deal.