Arsenal played some actual football on Tuesday but it’s all about the gossip as you’d expect with an offer from Monaco rejected and Arsenal possibly about to raid Lille again.
All the juicy transfer gossip (men, women, youth) and updates are at the bottom, just before the ex-Arsenal and general football updates. Below, if there is any, you will also find Arsenal news (men, women, youth), Arsenal injury news (men, women, youth), Arsenal club gossip, and Arsenal loan news.
Arsenal news & gossipMega Update #8
Arsenal news (men)
MK Dons 1 Arsenal 4
Pre-season? Up and running ✅ pic.twitter.com/ROHCMf3Wuv
— Arsenal (@Arsenal) August 25, 2020
Arsenal sprung a surprise pre-season friendly on fans and then proceeded to win 4-1.
Gareth Southgate admits he’s watching Bukayo Saka
“He’s obviously with the Under-21s this time and I feel he’s more of an attacking player,” he said. “I know he’s played at left-back and he’s given good contributions there in an attacking sense certainly.
“At the moment left wing-back, left side higher up the pitch, I know he’s played in midfield and on the right as well but that they would be his better positions. He’s a very exciting player.
“It is still early for him but he’s a player we like and we monitoring very closely. I think Phil, in particular, has been patient for his opportunity. We’ve taken our time with that but yeah Saka had a very good season with Arsenal, not in the team at the very end but really good season of progress and he’s a player watching very closely.”
3 called up for England u21 squad despite being Arsenal seniors
Eddie Nketiah, Bukayo Saka, and Reiss Nelson have been selected for the u21 squad. If they played for Liverpool, Spurs or United they’d be with the seniors. Well, maybe not them all but certainly Saka.
Kolasinac becomes a dad
It looks like Sead Kolasinac was not included in the Arsenal squad for the game against MK Dons as his partner was giving birth. The club have reportedly denied that they are in talks to move the player on, either on loan or in a permanent deal.
Arsenal news (women)
Arsenal women’s match to have 1,000 fans
Arsenal’s match against West Ham United will trial bringing supporters back to the game with 1,000 expected to be allowed access.
Arsenal women have a Dog’s Day
If you like Arsenal and dogs, then it’s the thread for you.
Arsenal news (youth)
Mark McGuinness makes it 3-1 with a monster header. Reiss Nelson assist.
— TheAFCnewsroom (@TheAFCnewsroom) August 25, 2020
Mark McGuinness marked his first start for the seniors with a monstrous headed goal when he scored against MK Dons.
Arsenal injury news (men)
Arsenal issued new updates on Tuesday which we covered in Mega Update #6. You can keep up-to-date on all Arsenal injuries and news here.
Arsenal loan news
There have been no new loans or updates but you can stay up-to-date with our Arsenal Loan Watch page which is regularly updated. Gossip is below.
Arsenal gossip (youth)
Greenwood to Leeds United
— Pete O'Rourke (@SportsPeteO) August 26, 2020
Monaco want Smith Rowe
Arsenal have reportedly turned down an approach from Monaco to take Emile Smith Rowe permanently.
Arsenal gossip (men)
Wolves made formal offer (below £20m) for Ainsley Maitland-Niles yesterday. Rejected by Arsenal as they seek higher fee for versatile 22yo. Among other interested clubs, 2 in Germany understood to be preparing bids. Background for @TheAthleticUK #WWFC #AFC https://t.co/CxhbX2McWn
— David Ornstein (@David_Ornstein) August 26, 2020
They have been told he will cost around £15m even though he cost Arsenal over £18m when they bought him in 2014. The English premium, it seems, does not apply to Arsenal players.
Arsenal interested in Lille’s Boubakary Soumare
Arsenal linked with Messi
Galatasaray interested in Elneny
— afcstuff (@afcstuff) August 25, 2020
Sokratis to Napoli
Juventus want Hector Bellerin
Nigel Winterburn on not selling Rob Holding
Non Arsenal football news and gossip
- Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.
- Maguire has been withdrawn from the England squad by manager Gareth Southgate after being found guilty of assault, resisting arrest, and repeated attempts of bribery.
- Ronaldinho and his brother, Roberto de Assis, have been released from prison in Paraguay after a judge formally accepted a plea deal the defence team agreed upon earlier this month. The former Barcelona forward and his brother were arrested in March for entering the country with false passports and, a month later, were placed under house arrest at a luxury hotel in the country’s capital, Asuncion, after paying bail of $800,000 each.
- Real Madrid have won the UEFA Youth League for the first time after club legend Raul Gonzalez coached their Under-19s to a 3-2 victory over Benfica.
- The UEFA Super Cup could be attended by about 20,000 fans in Budapest as a trial, Europe’s governing body has confirmed.
- Paris St-Germain and Manchester United are in position to sign Lionel Messi after the Argentine forward, 33, told Barcelona he wants to leave – and both would be willing to pay a fee.
- Messi decided to hand in a transfer request after he was told “your privileges in the squad are over” by new Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman.
- Striker Jamie Vardy, 33, signed a new contract with Leicester. There are no reports how many times he mentioned he could have signed for Arsenal.
- Philippe Coutinho would prefer to return to the Premier League than stay with Barcelona – with Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea interested in the 28-year-old Brazilian midfielder.
- All English Football League games will be available to watch from home while matches continue to be played behind closed doors or at limited capacity.
- Ajax and Netherlands defender Daley Blind collapsed during Tuesday’s pre-season friendly against Hertha Berlin.
- Leeds United have agreed a deal with Valencia to sign forward Rodrigo Moreno.
You might be wondering why I put the transfer stuff so far down the page when I know that’s why so many of you come to read these updates. Honestly, it’s because these take a looooong time to put together and the longer you’re on the page, the more that helps the site with its rankings. Think of scrolling to the bottom as your way of saying thank you :p