As the new season approaches and the transfer window gets going, all these wonderful, shiny new Arsenal signings are going to need a shirt number, so what Arsenal shirt numbers are available at the club?
Arsenal shirt numbers currently free
Within the first 25 squad numbers, there are currently eight numbers that have no owners, five of them from the first XI.
- Arsenal shirt number 4 is available for one of the 500 midfielders we’re going to buy.
- Arsenal shirt number 5 is available for the centre back we’re going to sign instead of playing William Saliba.
- Arsenal shirt number 8 is available to go to a midfielder we had to get on loan at the last minute.
- Arsenal shirt number 10 is currently available but is almost certainly going to Emile Smith Rowe.
- Arsenal shirt number 11 is available and won’t be going back to Martin Odegaard.
- Arsenal shirt number 15 belonged to Ainsley Maitland-Niles until we sent him on loan. Whether it goes back to him or not remains to be seen.
- Arsenal shirt number 20 was vacated by recently-crowned ‘Relegated Player of the Season’ in the Bundesliga, Shkodran Mustafi, who definitely isn’t coming back.
- Arsenal shirt number 23 will no longer adorn David Luiz’s back for referees to flash a red card at.
In addition to the numbers that are already available, there are a few that could free up if transfers go ahead as rumoured
Arsenal shirt numbers that could become free
- Bernd’s Leno’s 1 could go to Andre Onana if that deal goes ahead and Leno leaves, as it’s rumoured he might.
- It seems inevitable that Hector Bellerin will be leaving Arsenal so his 2 will need a new owner.
- Most are praying the rumours that Willian wants to leave Arsenal are true, so that means 12 will be up for grabs.
- Alex Runarsson’s 13 is another if he is sent on loan.
- Finally, Reiss Nelson’s 24 might be another that sadly becomes available.
Looking at both those lists combined, Arsenal could well see a new name on seven of the first XI squad numbers for the new season.