Martin Atkinson will referee Arsenal’s clash with Crystal Palace this weekend, the Premier League have confirmed.
The Premier League website announced the appointment on their website, along with assistants Lee Betts and Adam Nunn and fourth official Paul Tierney.
Atkinson officiates Arsenal matches fairly regularly, having taken charge of 51 matches involving the Gunners, so everyone should be familiar with him by now. Only Liverpool (54) have had him as a referee on more occasions.
What you may not have realised is how poor Arsenal’s away record is under the referee in recent seasons. Since the start of 2010, here’s a list of the club’s away results with Atkinson in charge:
- Stoke City 3-1 Arsenal [FA Cup]
- Blackburn Rovers 2-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Ipswich Town 1-0 Arsenal [League Cup]
- Tottenham Hotspur 3-3 Arsenal [PL]
- Fulham 2-2 Arsenal [PL]
- Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal [PL]
- Manchester City 6-3 Arsenal [PL]
- Everton 3-0 Arsenal [PL]
- Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal [PL]
- Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Sunderland 1-4 Arsenal [PL]
- Manchester City 2-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Chelsea 3-1 Arsenal [PL]
- Chelsea 0-0 Arsenal [League Cup]
- Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal [PL]
Overall, that’s 2 wins, 4 draws and 11 defeats in away matches under Atkinson this decade. The only team Arsenal managed to beat was Sunderland, twice.
Hopefully, Unai Emery’s side can change that on Sunday with a win at Selhurst Park, but we’ll have to wait and see.