Arsenal have one player in the top 10 most accurate passers in the Premier League this season, and rather surprisingly that player is Nacho Monreal.
You’d perhaps expect one of the central midfield players or centre-backs to appear on the list, and that’s the case in general, but Arsenal’s Spanish full-back found his way in as well.
Here is the top 10 (only including players with an appearances total greater than the average number of appearances):
10. Danilo (Manchester City)
90% accuracy, 48.2 passes per game.
9. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)
90% accuracy, 40.1 passes per game.
8. Nacho Monreal (Arsenal)
90.6% accuracy, 65.6 passes per game.
7. Phil Jones (Manchester United)
91.1% accuracy, 47.1 passes per game.
6. Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City)
91.4% accuracy, 40.8 passes per game.
5. Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City)
92% accuracy, 92.4 passes per game.
4. Mousa Dembele (Tottenham Hotspur)
92.6% accuracy, 51.4 passes per game.
3. Fabian Delph (Manchester City)
92.8% accuracy, 72.5 passes per game.
2. Andreas Christensen (Chelsea)
93.6% accuracy, 46.2 passes per game.
1. John Stones (Manchester City)
96.3% accuracy, 68.5 passes per game.
Unsurprisingly, Manchester City players dominate the list. Pep Guardiola’s possession-based game relies pretty heavily on that fact.
It’s also clear that playing for one of the top sides gives you a much better chance in this category. All 10 players come from the big-six sides, although interestingly none from Liverpool.
There are four other Arsenal players worth noting who didn’t make the list due to insufficient appearances:
- Eddie Nketiah (100% accuracy, one appearance)
- Reiss Nelson (100% accuracy, one appearance)
- Mohamed Elneny (93.9% accuracy, nine appearances)
- Per Mertesacker (91% accuracy, five appearances)
All would overtake Monreal on the standings if they could keep it up.
Somehow I can’t see Nelson and Nketiah managing 100% accuracy in the long-term though!