The Premier League is not expected to shutdown as England moves into tighter restrictions.
Boris Johnson is expected to announce on Saturday that England would move to a tighter set of restrictions that will see non-essential business shuttered amidst a second national lockdown.
The Premier League, however, are not expecting to see their schedule impacted with clubs and the League confident they are well-equipped to maintain their bubbles.
Three ‘well-placed MPs told The Athletic, “they have no reason to believe there will be any imminent changes to the Premier League. But sources stressed that the situation is fast-moving and unpredictable.”
They then quoted one MP who remained unnamed. “The virus doesn’t spread well in outdoor settings and the close contact time in sports like football is very short,” the MP said.
“The Department for Culture, Media and Sport seem keen to keep outdoor sport going at all levels.”
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport offered no comment when contacted by The Athletic.
Speaking earlier this month, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: “We don’t feel the closed doors model is at risk at the moment.
“We think we’ve got a proven model that worked in Project Restart and, at the moment we’re happy, and so are the government, that we can continue.”