Arsenal fans are understandably concerned about Stan Kroenke owning 97% of their club.
Rumour has it that Kroenke has offered Alisher Usmanov £525m for his 30.4% stake in Arsenal. If the American sports club own is successful in his bid, he’ll own 97% of the club and will be powerful enough to push out the remaining 3% owned by minority shareholders.
As a result, Arsenal could potentially become a privately owned company, which will mean that Kroenke can reduce the transparency in which the club operates at the moment.
Fans aren’t happy at all with many using Kroenke’s current sports teams as examples of why he shouldn’t be allowed to completely take over Arsenal.
Most recognise that Usmanov isn’t the answer either but allowing our current majority shareholder to take full control doesn’t seem like a good plan.
The Arsenal Supporters’ Trust (AST) for example, strongly oppose the idea, since they believe that our club’s fans are far too important to allow it to become owned by one person.
To Gooners, it often feels as if Kroenke is treating Arsenal as a play thing that he can experiment with and if he messes up, it doesn’t matter all that much ’cause he’s rich.
All most of us want is a board that genuinely cares about the club, not just for its financial clout but for its football.
As you can see from the following responses, fans are genuinely worried.
Kroenke is Wal-Mart Scum but Usmanov is a crook who would turn Arsenal into the next Leeds. Easy choice: Bye Alisher.
— Garden State Gooners (@GardenStGooners) October 4, 2017
— Benson Mugore 🇿🇼 (@BensonMugore) October 4, 2017
The real concern is that Kroenke would take the club private and have the option to register it in the US. Would be catastrophe for Arsenal😭
— Dom (@DomMorratti) October 4, 2017
No this cannot be allowed to happen #kroenkeout
— Karen Russell (@Kazza9668) October 4, 2017
Would rather have Usmanov any day tbh. Sooner Kroenke has less control the better
— eppytaff (@eppytaff) October 4, 2017
OUT, OUT, OUT!! The man is a germ.
— Steven L Powell (@StevenPowell4) October 4, 2017
It would be the final nail in the coffin of a once great club 😖 #KroenkeOut
— Baloney (@6Baloney6) October 4, 2017
Kroenke as far away from #AFC as possible.The clubs desire to win has been ebbing away ever since his arrival. Money over success.No thanks
— paul (@C79Paul) October 4, 2017
He buys we’re screwed, he doesn’t we’re screwed. The only way we win is Usmanov taking over but that’s never going to happen, win win 👍😡😡😡
— Colin Mason (@1981bub) October 4, 2017