Bukayo Saka only took one week of complete rest over the summer, and he’s now explained why he made that decision.

Bukayo Saka had a busy 2025/26 campaign, and he went into the summer carrying an injury issue, which ultimately appeared to affect his minutes at the World Cup.
As a result, there had been some suggestions the winger might miss the start of the new season, but Saka was in the starting lineup and on the scoresheet against Coventry City on Friday night.
Speaking to the media after the game, Saka revealed that he didn’t take much time off over the summer, explaining that he didn’t actually want too much of a break.

“The World Cup [start] was a couple of months ago, but I’ve put in a lot of work since then and I’m feeling good,” Saka said.
“It was more about balancing my time off and not having too much of a break. I took seven days off and then started to train again, just to try and come back in good shape so I’m on top of my body.
“I felt really hungry after the World Cup, after the season ended. I was looking forward for the season to start again.
“Like I said, I was training a lot so I could be ready for the start and ready to help the team in the way I know I can.”

When Saka is fully fit and firing, Arsenal are a much better team than when he’s out of action or not at 100%.
The winger is a goal threat, a creative threat, he works hard out of possession, he’s a man for the big occasion, and he’s someone you can find under pressure and he’ll usually make something happen.
Whether Saka and Arsenal’s decisions on his time off and his fitness work bear dividends this season remains to be seen, and there will always be doubters suggesting the club give him more of a break.
But it’s definitely difficult to leave the 24-year-old on the sidelines, and he clearly just wants to be back out there on the pitch.

- Saka explains why he only took 1-week summer holidayBukayo Saka only took one week of complete rest over the summer, and he’s now explained why he made that decision.
- David Ornstein gives Mikel Arteta contract updateMikel Arteta is likely to agree a new contract with Arsenal after the transfer window closes, according to a report.
- Out-of-contract Arsenal youngster shares farewell messageSeb Ferdinand has posted a farewell message to Arsenal after leaving the club at the end of his contract earlier this summer.
- Juventus clarify stance on Arsenal winger targetJuventus manager Luciano Spalletti wants to keep Kenan Yildiz regardless of the offer the club receive for the winger, amid links with Arsenal.
- Report: Arsenal haven’t ended talks for 27yo strikerArsenal reportedly remain in talks with Galatasaray for Victor Osimhen, contrary to recent claims in the English media.
