Although most Arsenal fans are excited at the prospect of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signing for the club, there are many wary of his Borussia Dortmund antics.
Aubameyang is known for being prolific on the pitch and a trouble-maker off it. Arsenal have only just gotten rid of the man-baby that is Alexis Sanchez, so do we really need a similar character in the dressing room?
The 28-year-old has been in trouble numerous times, and his ‘scandals’ do indicate that the Gabon international has a problem with authority and focus, which can lead him to act in an unprofessional manner.
Since Aubameyang signed for Dortmund from Saint-Étienne in 2013 he’s:
- Crashed with his Ferrari going 77km/h in a 30km/h zone (Oct 2013)
- Flew him and his mates to Milan in a private jet before a game, turned up late the next day and got dropped from the squad by manager at the time Thomas Tuchel (Nov 2016)
- Granted a 10-member video team access to the BVB catacombs, which is forbidden (Nov 2017)
- Dropped from the squad by Peter Bosz for turning up to training 20 minutes late (November 2017)
- Allowed his family to take a holiday at the BVB team hotel during a training camp (January 2017)
- Skipped a team meeting and was dropped from the squad by current coach Peter Stöger (January 2017)
- Wore Ousmane Dembele shirt during indoor football match while Dortmund were playing Hertha – Dembele forced a move away from BVB to Barcelona in the summer
Aubameyang-unplugged-facts that also need to be told:
– he was desperate to play for Real Madrid
– Dortmund can’t wait to get him rid of him
– Arsenal will sign “all his family”
– Heynckes has said he would never sign a player behaving like this
— Jan Aage Fjortoft (@JanAageFjortoft) January 21, 2018
As you can see, most of these ‘scandals’ have happened since November, which seems to be when the striker became disillusioned with Dortmund. At the same time, Aubameyang has also scored 21 goals in 23 games so… swings and roundabouts.
Will he misbehave at Arsenal? Only time will tell. Arsene Wenger usually hates signing disruptive players. I expect the 28-year-old to at least be on his best behaviour when he first joins.
Sven Mislintat has allegedly reassured Wenger that he won’t be a problem…