Diego Costa’s return to Atletico Madrid appears to be in doubt as Diego Simeone reportedly turns his attention to Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
- Simeone wants Dortmund star despite transfer ban
- Dortmund were willing to allow Aubameyang go for £61.6m (€70m) before 26 June
- Costa set to return to Atletic after falling out with Chelsea boss, Antonio Conte
- Why Arsenal should do everything they can to sign Aubameyang
- German report: Aubameyang only wants Arsenal if he moves to Premier League
Costa’s move to Atleti was initially hindered by the La Liga side’s transfer ban being upheld and now, according to L’Equipe [via Daily Star], it’s hit another stumbling block in the form of Dortmund striker, Aubameyang.
Although, why Atleti’s transfer ban would affect Costa’s move and not Aubameyang’s is unclear.
Simeone is apparently eyeing the Gabon international after Dortmund’s CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke, confirmed that the Bundesliga club would be willing to listen to offers for the prolific striker, as long as they came before 26 June.
The reason for this was because Dortmund were traveling to Switzerland for pre-season and the club wanted to find a replacement in time if Aubameyang leaves.
Well, 26 June has been and gone.
Arsenal have been linked with both Costa and Aubameyang. However, Gooners would much rather their club sign Aubameyang, who scored 40 goals in 46 appearances last season.