According to a recent report, Newcastle are not actually planning on making a move for Kieran Gibbs this summer while another claims they are.
Rafa Benitez had been previously linked with a formal approach for the Englishman, who has one year left on his existing deal at the Emirates.
Arsenal were hoping to earn somewhere in the region of £10-15m, which the newly-promoted side can easily afford, though ESPN have said they’re unwilling to pay such a high price given his situation and are prepared to look at other targets instead.
However, reports elsewhere in the last 24 hours have said that Newcastle are prepared to make an offer given his top-flight experience and availability, as well as the ability he does possess.
A significant upgrade on Newcastle’s existing first-choice Paul Dummett, Gibbs has made almost 150 Premier League appearances. Unfortunate not to have played more regularly due to troublesome injuries, there’s a chance that he could earn an England recall if given the opportunity to play on a weekly basis.
Newcastle supporters have been unsurprisingly divided in their response to recent developments.
Yep, I would be delighted with Kieran Gibbs. Not sure about the £15million but he fits the bill for me. #NUFC
— James (@jamesd4141) June 4, 2017
Who are we realistically going to sign whos a better left back than Gibbs?
If hes available for 10-15m then get him signed #NUFC
— Bafa Renitez (@goneforaburton6) June 4, 2017
On a less depressing note, if the Gibbs report is true, I will be very pleased. Solid, proven Premier League player. #NUFC
— Rohan Banerjee (@RBanerjee23) June 4, 2017
His last international outing was during a 2-0 friendly win over France in 2015 and despite being an unused substitute in a World Cup qualifier last year, he’ll be hoping to impress Gareth Southgate by playing more at club level.
Whether that’s at Newcastle remains to be seen but until Benitez clarifies the situation, this is only speculation for now.