Santi Cazorla has revealed that he’s made a decision on a possible retirement this summer, but he’s not going to announce it yet.

Former Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla is still in action in top-flight football with Real Oviedo in La Liga this season, despite having turned 41 in December.
Cazorla had played a key role in Oviedo’s promotion to the top flight last season, but they look likely to drop back down this summer. The club sit 20th in La Liga with five games remaining and an eight-point gap to 17th place and safety. A miracle would be required to survive.
Perhaps that’s why Cazorla told the media this week that whilst he’s made a decision on his future, he doesn’t believe it’s the right time to announce it yet.

“I made the decision [on my future] a few weeks ago, but I don’t think it’s the right time to announce it yet because it needs to be discussed with the club,” Cazorla said. “Right now, the important thing is to stay focused on the sporting side, above my future or that of any other player.
“But yes, I’ve made up my mind, and I’ll officially announce it in the coming days or weeks.
“In the end, everything in life has a beginning and an end. But like I said, I’m very focused on finishing the season well and continuing to contribute until the end.
“As I said, after discussing it with the club, my family, and everyone, I’ll make the best decision and see what’s best for everyone.”

In the wake of those comments Spain legend Xavi has spoken out about the former Arsenal player, saying: “I was lucky enough to be Santi’s teammate in the national team and after, reuniting again in Qatar when I was already a coach. The only thing I can say is that it was a privilege to coach him.
“I can only speak wonders about Santi. It is a spectacle to watch him play, he has an incredible talent, unbeatable, he is a differential footballer. I’ve seen that talent in very few players in the history of football.”
Cazorla has made 23 appearances for Oviedo this season, but the majority of them have been from the bench, with only four starts. All four of those starts came before the turn of the year, meaning the Spaniard hasn’t started a game in 2026 so far.
If the midfielder has decided to call time on his career, it would make sense. But he’s unlikely to confirm it whilst his team are still fighting for their survival in the Spanish top flight, as they don’t need the distraction.
- Bundesliga club decide to activate Arsenal loan purchase optionWerder Bremen are set to sign Karl Hein permanently, despite the goalkeeper’s limited minutes this season and the fact he ended his loan spell with an injury.
- Rodri complains about unfair schedule after Arsenal win titleRodri complained about Manchester City’s lack of rest on Tuesday night after conceding the Premier League title to Arsenal, but his sense of injustice is more than a little misplaced.
- Palace-Arsenal ref to officiate Gunners for 1st time everThe Premier League have confirmed their team of match officials for Sunday’s games, including Arsenal’s trip to Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace.
- Injured Arsenal player hoping to return vs Crystal PalaceMikel Merino is aiming to make his on-field comeback for Arsenal against Crystal Palace this Sunday, revealing that the Champions League run helped motivate his recovery.
- Crystal Palace player suffers ligament injury pre-Arsenal matchChris Richards will miss Crystal Palace’s match against Arsenal this weekend, having damaged ligaments in his ankle last Sunday.
