A number of Arsenal’s first-team players returned to training on Monday, and four youth players joined their first session back.
As it was reported they would over the weekend, Arsenal’s first-team stars began to return to training at London Colney on Monday.
Rob Holding, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Albert Sambi Lokonga, Cedric Soares, Eddie Nketiah, Reiss Nelson, Gabriel Magalhaes, and Marquinhos could all be seen in training photos of the session, and youngsters Matt Smith and Myles Lewis-Skelly also joined in.
With all of Arsenal’s first-team goalkeepers still not back, u21 goalkeepers Hubert Graczyk and James Hillson took part in the session as well.
Arsenal’s 10 World Cup internationals are obviously still away at the tournament, but there were six further absentees from Monday’s session at Colney.
Kieran Tierney, Martin Odegaard, Karl Hein, and Mohamed Elneny all took part in friendly internationals the week before last, so they’ve seemingly been given a later comeback date.
The same goes for Fabio Vieira, who played for the Portugal u21s, scoring one goal and assisting another in his two games on November 18th and November 22nd, just one week ago.
Finally, Emile Smith Rowe didn’t take part in the session, suggesting he’s not yet quite fit enough to rejoin the squad after his injury.
The midfielder told reporters recently that he’s hoping to be back in action by the first game after the World Cup, and reports suggest he’s set to join the squad in Dubai.
Tierney, Odegaard, Hein, and Elneny should be the next players back in action, followed by Vieira, then Smith Rowe and any internationals eliminated early from the World Cup should join up with the side in Dubai.
Arsenal kick off their public schedule of friendlies against Lyon next week, though they’re reportedly set to play a friendly against Watford before heading to Dubai.
Arsenal’s World Cup schedule (times in GMT)
- November 13th-November 27th – Time off
- November 28th – Return to training
- W/C November 28th – Arsenal vs Watford (London Colney)
- December 4th – Travel to Dubai for a warm-weather camp
- December 8th, 15:30 – Arsenal vs Lyon (Al Maktoum Stadium)
- December 13th, 14:00 – Arsenal vs Milan (Al Maktoum Stadium)
- December 14th – Travel back to London
- December 17th, 18:00 – Arsenal vs Juventus (Emirates Stadium)
- W/C December 19th – Rumoured 5th friendly (London Colney)
- December 26th – The Premier League returns