16-year-old Myles Lewis-Skelly has been called up for Arsenal’s first-team training camp in Dubai next month, according to a report.
Arsenal Youth report that Myles Lewis-Skelly has been selected to travel with the first-team squad as they take part in a training camp in Dubai next month.
The youngster is now likely to miss a few youth fixtures, as the academy schedule hasn’t stopped for the World Cup, but it’s not impossible he’ll be replacing those games with a first-team debut in one of Arsenal’s friendlies.
The duo have been playing above their age for a while now, and Arsenal will be hugely keen to tie them both down to scholarship contracts next year. Given they’re still just 15 and 16, that hasn’t been possible before now.
Part of that contract process involves convincing each of them that there’s a clear pathway to senior football ahead of them, and perhaps that factor is motivating their recent call-ups to Mikel Arteta’s squad.
The other major factor is simply that Arsenal will be missing a bunch of first-team players for the World Cup. As it stands, 10 of Arteta’s squad are preparing to take part in the tournament, leaving a lot of gaps in training.
Lewis-Skelly is a talented midfielder with a dribbling style reminiscent of a young Jack Wilshere, and a great eye for a pass. Like Nwaneri, he rarely seems phased by the chance to step up a level, and he’ll relish this latest opportunity.
Arsenal’s potential World Cup schedule (times in GMT)
- November 13th-December 3rd – Approximately 10 days off, followed by training in London
- W/C November 28th – Arsenal vs Watford (London Colney)
- December 4th – Travel to Dubai for a warm-weather camp
- December 8th, 15:30 – Arsenal vs Lyon (Al Maktoum Stadium)
- December 13th, 14:00 – Arsenal vs Milan (Al Maktoum Stadium)
- December 14th – Travel back to London
- December 17th – Arsenal vs Juventus (Emirates Stadium)
- W/C December 19th – Rumoured 5th friendly (London Colney)
- December 26th – The Premier League returns