Dominic Calvert-Lewin is reportedly ‘intrigued’ by the idea of signing for Arsenal as the Gunners search for two strikers this summer but Alexander Isak is said to be marginally more likely to arrive.
Arsenal are said to be after two strikers this summer.
One name that has been linked for some time is Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin despite him only scoring three goals all season.
Of course, unlike Alexandre Lacazette, who only has four league goals this season, Calvert-Lewin missed a big chunk of the campaign with a fractured toe.
Anyway, the 25-year-old striker is reportedly ‘intrigued’ by the idea of signing for Arsenal according to the Daily Mail’s Deputy Chief Sports Writer, Ian Herbert.
In Saturday’s edition of the paper, Herbert writes, “Eddie Nketiah’s two goals at Chelsea were, to some extent, scored in anger at Arteta’s reluctance to make him a big part of this story.
“Arsenal have not given up all hope that they can keep him beyond a contract which expires this season.
“If not, Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a target — and seems to be intrigued by the idea — though 22-year-old Swede Alexander Isak, the Real Sociedad forward, appears a marginally more likely signing.”
Isak is three years younger than Calvert-Lewin and valued at almost £2m less.
He has also scored five league goals this season, although that was in 1,897 minutes compared to Calvert-Lewin’s 1,004.
Calvert-Lewin is out of contract in 2025, while Isak’s deal with Real Sociedad runs until 2026.
8 April 2022
Arsenal’s interest in Dominic Calvert-Lewin has cooled, despite the threat of relegation for Everton and other interest in the striker.
The Telegraph report that whilst Dominic Calvert-Lewin would attract offers this summer, Arsenal’s interest in the striker has cooled.
Everton are obviously facing the serious threat of relegation right now, and that could see some of their players leaving in cut-price deals. But Arsenal’s attentions appear to be elsewhere.
The report is particularly noteworthy as The Telegraph were one of the primary sources linking Arsenal with interest in Calvert-Lewin in the first place. If they no longer believe the move is a priority, then that seemingly makes a deal unlikely.
Recent Arsenal links to Calvert-Lewin were shot down late last month, after a couple of reporters claimed Calvert-Lewin had agreed a deal with Arsenal ahead of the summer.
“Dominic Calvert-Lewin has not agreed any deal, with any club,” Calvert-Lewin’s agency 11wins claimed (via The Bobble).
“He is currently working very hard in training and is fully focused on finishing the season strong with Everton.”
The Athletic reported in January that Arsenal were keen on Calvert-Lewin even at £60m, and that the move would appeal to the player. But it seems something has changed since then.
Calvert-Lewin started the season in red-hot form, scoring three goals in three games. After four months out with a fractured toe, he’s returned to assist just once in a further 10 appearances.