Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang tucked away the rebound of his missed penalty against Aston Villa but he wasn’t so fortunate against Watford and his penalty record for Arsenal does make good reading.
For the first time since 2005, Arsenal missed back-to-back penalties in the Premier League and it was, once again, our captain, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who had stepped up to the spot.
As I was looking at which referees gave the most penalties for and against Arsenal, I couldn’t help but notice that, after Thierry Henry and Ian Wright, no Arsenal player has taken more than 5 penalties for the club without missing at least one.
There are 14 players who all have a 100% rate for Arsenal when it comes to stepping up to the spot, but six of those only ever took one penalty.
Three have taken and scored two, and three have taken and scored five.
Arsenal’s penalty takers who’ve never missed
- Thierry Henry – 23
- Ian Wright – 16
- Emmanuel Adebayor – 5
- Dennis Bergkamp – 5
- Alexandre Lacazette – 5
- Nicolas Pepe – 2
- Olivier Giroud – 2
- Marc Overmars – 2
- Edu – 1
- Andrey Arshavin – 1
- Kanu – 1
- Emmanuel Eboue – 1
- Nicklas Bendtner – 1
- Samir Nasri – 1
Arsenal players who missed one penalty
- Santi Cazorla – 9 (88.9%)
- Mikel Arteta – 7 (87.5%)
- Robert Pires – 6 (83.3%) – And we all know that one should have been retaken
Arsenal players who missed their only penalty
- Lee Dixon
- Paul Merson
- Theo Walcott
- Julio Baptista
- Tomas Rosicky
Arsenal players who have missed the most penalties
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – Taken 14, missed 5 (64.9% success) (Ben Foster & Watford, Aston Villa & Emi Martinez, Norwich City & Tim Krul, Tottenham & Hugo Lloris, Manchester City & Ederson)
- Robin van Persie – 9/3 (75%) (Manchester United & David de Gea, Wigan Athletic & Ali Al-Habsi, Manchester City & Kasper Schmeichel)
- Alexis Sanchez – 5/2 (60%) (Hull City & Eldin Jakupovic, QPR & Rob Green)
- Cesc Fabregas – 5/2 (60%) (Manchester City & Joe Hart, Stoke City & Thomas Sorenson)