Arsenal’s men and women both progressed to the next round of the FA Cup and now know who they will face in their next matches.
Arsenal’s men’s side beat Bournemouth 2-1 away on Monday night while on Sunday, the women’s team beat West Ham 2-0, also away, thanks to goals from Katie McCabe and Lia Walti, who scored her first for the club to seal progression to the fifth round.
Arsenal’s men’s team will now face Portsmouth at Fratton Park, on a date yet to be confirmed because the TV companies have to decide who they want to show in addition to Manchester United, who get picked no matter who they play or how badly they are playing simply due to the size of their fanbase.
We do know, however, that the games will be midweek as the FA approved Thursday games for the competition for the first time.
There will be no replays in the fifth round with games going to extra time and penalties on the night should any games finish as a draw after 90 minutes. But, of course, we will carry on wondering why the magic of the cup is being lost.
Arsenal’s women face a home tie against Lewes with the match expected to be played on Sunday, 16 February.
The men’s game should take place between 3 and 5 March.
Women’s FA Cup draw in full
- Bristol City v Everton
- Coventry United v Tottenham
- Leicester City v Reading
- Crystal Palace or Southampton FC v Brighton
- Man City v Ipswich
- Arsenal v Lewes
- Sunderland v Birmingham
- Chelsea v Liverpool
Men’s FA Cup draw in full
- Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City
- Reading or Cardiff City v Sheffield United
- Chelsea v Shrewsbury or Liverpool
- West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle or Oxford United
- Leicester City v Coventry or Birmingham
- Northampton Town or Derby County v Manchester United
- Southampton or Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City
- Portsmouth v Arsenal