Arsenal’s internationals had one of the quietest international breaks in recent times, with limited appearances and even fewer goal contributions.
Eight Arsenal players joined up with their countries over the break, but Emi Martinez, Bernd Leno and Matteo Guendouzi didn’t feature on the pitch at all, leaving just five who did at senior level plus Gabriel Martinelli with the Brazil Olympic Team.
Sead Kolasinac played poorly and then fell injured with a back problem, but there were four who can claim to have had a half-decent break in the senior matches.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang provided an assist and enjoyed a draw and a win with Gabon. Lucas Torreira also got a draw and a win and impressed against Argentina. Granit Xhaka starred in a couple of Euro qualifier wins for Switzerland, scoring in the second.
Nicolas Pepe played well and won a penalty against Niger but was also involved in an upset as Ethiopia defeated Ivory Coast 2-1. In total, Arsenal players managed two goal contributions, Aubameyang’s assist and Xhaka’s goal against Gibraltar.
Here is the full list of results over the break, and we’ve included links to any of our more detailed reports or match highlights for any of the results listed where that’s appropriate.
Thursday 14th November
- USA u23s 0-1 Brazil u23s – Martinelli played 75 minutes and was narrowly denied with a couple of good chances
- DR Congo 0-0 Gabon – Aubameyang played 90 minutes as captain
Friday 15th November
- Hungary 1-2 Uruguay – Torreira played the final 22 minutes after coming off the bench to secure the win
- Bosnia & Herzegovina 0-3 Italy – Kolasinac played 90 minutes
- Switzerland 1-0 Georgia – Xhaka played 90 minutes and created a game-high six chances
Saturday 16th November
- Ivory Coast 1-0 Niger – Pepe played 90 minutes and won a penalty
Sunday 17th November
- Argentina 1-0 Brazil u23s – Martinelli played 65 minutes
- Gabon 2-1 Angola – Aubameyang played 90 minutes as captain and provided an assist
Monday 18th November
- Argentina 2-2 Uruguay – Torreira played 90 minutes and was heavily involved in the opening goal
- Gibraltar 1-6 Switzerland – Xhaka scored and played the full 90 minutes
Tuesday 19th November
- Ethiopia 2-1 Ivory Coast – Pepe played 90 minutes