Unai Emery has admitted he’s told Shkodran Mustafi he can leave the club this summer.
If there was one blot on Arsenal’s transfer business this window it was that they did not sell or loan Shkodran Mustafi.
Fear not, the window is still open around the world meaning we can still get him out on loan or permanently.
“I spoke with him when we finished last season, I spoke with him when we started pre-season and I spoke with him also two weeks ago saying maybe there was the possibility he can leave,” Emery said of the German. “But I do not have doubts if he needs to play because he is a good player.
“Maybe we decided to be more competitive in each position, at centre-back with David Luiz, with another player in the middle with Ceballos, with Kieran Tierney, with Pepe. I think being more competitive we can respond better in the season.
“Some players maybe they can play less with that situation and can leave. But it is one decision taken with the player, with the club, with the team. At the moment he is here and really if we need, he plays with us. I have confidence he will do well.”
Look, let’s be clear, Mustafi isn’t a bad player.
In fact, 95% of the time he’s a very decent central defender. However, that’s like saying your dog is a very good dog 95% of the time, because sits and rolls over and does what you expect of a dog. That all means little if he spends the other 5% of his time sh*tting on your furniture.
We scoffed when Gary Neville revealed that when he was at Valencia they couldn’t give Mustafi away. Jealous Manc, we said.
We should have listened.
Mustafi has played 84 Premier League games and made as many errors leading to a goal (3) as Laurent Koscielny made in 255.