Arsenal look set to play Barcelona on August 4 in their final pre-season game of the summer.
Although neither Arsenal nor Barcelona have confirmed the fixture, the press in Spain have mentioned it quite a few times and now they have a date – August 4.
Mundo Deportivo reported on Saturday morning that Barcelona had the chance to play some friendlies in New Zealand but have opted to face European rivals before embarking on a second tour of the US at the end of the summer.
Acknowledging that these fixtures have yet to be confirmed, MD state that Barcelona are expected to play Arsenal on August 4 following a game against Zenit on August 1.
Mundo Deportivo previously reported that Barcelona were negotiating with Arsenal regarding their participation in the Trofeo Joan Gamper, a one-off game where Barcelona invite another side so they can show off their own team to their supporters before the season starts.
Reportedly, Arsenal Head of Football Raul Sanllehi’s close relationship with his former club has been ‘fundamental’ in finding an agreement between the two sides.
This is the schedule for Unai Emery’s side this summer, with times given in BST:
- July 6 (15:00) – Boreham Wood – Meadow Park (u23 fixture)
- July 16 (01:00) – Colorado Rapids – DICK’s Sporting Goods Park, CO, USA
- July 18 (04:00) – Bayern Munich – Dignity Health Sports Park, CA, USA
- July 20 (23:00) – AS Roma – Bank of America Stadium, NC, USA
- July 24 (00:00) – Real Madrid – FedExField, MD, USA
- July 28 (15.15) – Lyon – Emirates Stadium
- August 4 (TBC) – FC Barcelona – TBC
The Premier League kicks-off on August 10.