Arsenal are set to face Barcelona in the Trofeo Joan Gamper this summer, to complete a busy pre-season schedule for the Gunners, according to reports in Spain.
Mundo Deportivo report that Barcelona have been negotiating with Arsenal to agree the Gunners’ participation in the Trofeo Joan Gamper. An agreement appears to have been reached for a game on August 4th, with only the signing of contracts remaining.
Reportedly, Arsenal Head of Football Raul Sanllehi’s close relationship with his former club has been ‘fundamental’ in finding an agreement between the two sides.
This is the schedule for Unai Emery’s side this summer, with times given in BST:
- July 6th (15:00) – Boreham Wood – Meadow Park (u23 fixture)
- July 16th (01:00) – Colorado Rapids – DICK’s Sporting Goods Park, CO, USA
- July 18th (04:00) – Bayern Munich – Dignity Health Sports Park, CA, USA
- July 20th (23:00) – AS Roma – Bank of America Stadium, NC, USA
- July 24th (00:00) – Real Madrid – FedExField, MD, USA
- July 28th (15.15) – Lyon – Emirates Stadium
- August 4th (TBC) – FC Barcelona – TBC
The Premier League then kicks off on the 10th August, and if Arsenal win the Europa League then they’ll play in the European Super Cup against Liverpool or Spurs on the 14th.
Overall, it seems like a pretty good pre-season plan. The Boreham Wood fixture will give a couple of young players the chance to push their way into Unai Emery’s plans for the tour, and the Colorado Rapids match should help ease the first-team back into action. Then there are a bunch of tough tests to prepare the side for the season.