After the first few days of the international break, let’s have a look at how Arsenal’s senior and youth stars are doing so far.
There hasn’t been much action for the international senior sides so far, particularly with Aaron Ramsey missing Wales’ match with a minor injury.
Lucas Torreira played 20 minutes of Uruguay’s 3-0 win over Uzbekistan, which has put them through to the China Cup final. Alex Iwobi played 70 minutes of Nigeria’s 3-1 victory over Seychelles, leaving them top of their AFCON qualification group.
In the youth teams, there’s a lot more to talk about. Arsenal academy defender Mark McGuinness made his debut for the Republic of Ireland u19s, playing the last 10 minutes of a 5-0 victory over Romania. Kelechi Nwakali started in a 2-0 defeat for the Nigeria u23s, whilst Matteo Guendouzi played the last 10 minutes of France u21s’ 2-2 draw.
For England, Reiss Nelson started and provided an assist for the u21s. Eddie Nketiah started and scored for the u20s, with Joe Willock mysteriously absent. Bukayo Saka scored two and assisted one for the u19s.
Folarin Balogun scored one and assisted one for the u18s, with Vontae Daley-Campbell also starting that match. Xavier Amaechi and Tyreece John-Jules were withdrawn from the squad, to travel to Dubai with Arsenal.
Finally, Sam Greenwood scored twice for the u17s, with midfielder Miguel Azeez also featuring for the full 90 minutes. Yunus Musah is with the squad but didn’t get any game time.
In total, Arsenal players have put together 14 appearances, scoring six goals and assisting three. Let’s hope they can all keep it up!
First Team Results
- Uzbekistan 0-3 Uruguay – Torreira played 20 minutes
- Nigeria 3-1 Seychelles – Iwobi started
- Republic of Ireland u19s 5-0 Romania – McGuinness played 10 minutes
- England u19s 3-1 Czech Republic – Saka started, scored 2 and assisted 1
- Libya 2-0 Nigeria u23s – Nwakali started
- Japan 1-4 England u18s – Balogun and Daley-Campbell started, Balogun scored 1 and assisted 1
- Germany 2-2 France u21s – Guendouzi played 10 minutes
- England u17s 5-2 Switzerland – Greenwood and Azeez started, Greenwood scored 2
- England u20s 1-3 Poland – Nketiah started, scored 1
- England u21s 1-1 Poland u21s – Nelson and Bielik started, Nelson assisted 1
- 16:00 Czech Republic 1-0 England u18s Vontae Daley-Campbell played the final five minutes