Caglar Soyuncu says his main priority is playing for a team where he’s a regular starter, even though he’s clearly keen on a move to the Premier League.

1Latest

In recent weeks, the media have linked Arsenal with a move to Soyuncu. The Telegraph wrote last Tuesday that the club are pushing for a transfer even though they haven’t announced their new manager yet. They say the Gunners are prepared to agree a deal worth up to £35m for the 21-year-old.

Now Soyuncu himself has spoken out about his future, and started by saying he needs to keep playing, wherever he goes.

“For me, it must be a team where I can play first,” hetold Ajansspor. “We will evaluate my chances of playing. 

“It’s best to wait. The English league is a very good league. Of course I have a goal to play in top clubs. A decision will be made in the interests of all of us.”

Speaking last week, Soyuncu’s agent also admitted a move to England is definitely the player’s priority. He refused to give the names of the clubs he was negotiating with though. At the time he said the situation should be ‘clear’ in 10 or 15 days, which leaves around 5 or 10 now.

We’ll have to see if the Arsenal scouts really want him, and do enough to convince him he’ll get playing time.

I’d trust Sven Mislintat to make the right decision, from what we’ve seen of Konstantinos Mavropanos so far. Clearly the head of recruitment knows what a talented defender looks like. It’s just about fighting off any competition and getting a deal done now.

Arsenal probably need to buy more than one defender this summer, so click ‘Next’ to see the other centre-backs the media are linking them to.

Back