Bordeaux have assured new manager Gus Poyet that Malcom will be staying at the club for the rest of the season.

Malcom was a target for Arsenal during this window, but the club have since moved on to other players. A big reason for that has been Bordeaux reluctance to sell the 20-year-old in the middle of a difficult season.

Facing a potential relegation scrap, Bordeaux need to keep hold of their best players, and the Ligue 1 side have told their new manager Gus Poyet that they do intend to do just that.

“I asked straight away if Malcom would be staying or not. They said yes,” Poyet said, in his first press conference after his unveiling, as reported by Tribal Football. “I said OK, now we can continue the discussion.”

This message is consistent with Bordeaux president Stephane Martin’s statement, who said: “Malcom, it has been said and repeated, he will not leave. He said he wanted to play in the Premier League someday.”

Bordeaux’s Brazilian forward Malcom runs with the ball during the French L1 football match between Bordeaux (FCGB) and Montpellier (MHSC) on December 20, 2017, at the Matmut Atlantique stadium in Bordeaux, southwestern France. / AFP PHOTO / NICOLAS TUCAT (Photo credit should read NICOLAS TUCAT/AFP/Getty Images)

“It’s normal, which player would not want to play in England? So there is no problem with Malcom.”

Malcom was thought of as a potential replacement for Alexis Sanchez. Since then, we’ve signed Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Manchester United, and are looking to add Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund as well.

It’s possible that we’ll return for Malcom in the summer, especially if he keeps up his impressive season. We could also face competition from Tottenham, who are also admirers of the winger.

Malcom is an exciting talent, but one still lacking in experience. Meanwhile, the club are aiming to bring in experienced, established performers with the aim of getting back into the top-four.