For once this season, Arsenal actually looked as if they wanted a victory but dodgy decisions from the referee and manager, and a lack of confidence, cost us three points.

The Gunners were given a free-kick in the seventh minute after some early pressure when Alexandre Lacazette got fouled. Alexis Sanchez took it and narrowly missed, with the ball being tipped over the bar for a corner, which obviously didn’t amount to anything.

Minutes later, Arsenal mounted a good attack with Jack Wilshere releasing Mesut Ozil, who picked out Alexis. The German steamed into the area, eager to get on the end of Alexis’ cross but the Chilean over-hit the ball and it bounced out.

Immediately, Chelsea raced up the other end with Shkodran Mustafi making a crucial last-second block to deny a shot.

It was then Arsenal’s turn to break and they did so brilliantly with Ozil and Jack both racing to get into the box. However, Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ cross rolled straight into the path of Thibaut Courtois.

Seconds later, Alvaro Morata was suddenly left one-on-one with Petr Cech but shot just wide.

Despite Arsenal having the better of the chances, one slip-up almost gave the winners an undeserved lead.

The Gunners’ quickly passed their way up the other end and had a penalty claim waved away by referee Anthony Taylor shortly before Alexis hit the post. The ball rolled across to the other and out before being cleared. No one could understand how it hadn’t gone in.

Replays of the penalty shout, which had been unable to be shown until this point because the match was so frenetic, showed Maitland-Niles tripped himself.

In the 23rd minute, Arsenal were kept out again after Courtois saved a shot from Laca.

The Gunners looked lively with Ozil in particular seriously busting a gut to be everywhere at once.

Cech was forced into a save against Tiémoué Bakayoko as Arsenal became sloppy around the half-hour mark. As usual, as good as the Gunners were on the attack, our three defenders, Calum Chambers, Per Mertesacker and Rob Holding, were not doing us any favours at the back.

Jack picked up a yellow card for taking out Cesc Fabregas, which the Arsenal fans loved.

The match continued to fly by with both sides having chance after chance. Ozil, however, was the highlight.

At the break, the Gunners had had six shots to Chelsea’s eight.

The second half kicked off just at chaotically with Arsenal having a go and then Cech being forced into two saves within seconds at the other end. One of which was against Cesc.

In the 52nd minute, Laca got a huge chance when Ozil but him through but he waited too long and shot right at Courtois.

Rob Holding then picked up a yellow for a foul on Cesc.

With half-an-hour left, Ozil managed to finally get the ball in the back of the net but the whistle had already gone for a foul elsewhere.

Although both teams were having good chances, neither seemed to be able to score.

Until none other than Jack Wilshere thumped the ball into the back of the net and the Emirates erupted.

Seconds later Laca went close as well.

However, Bellerin kicked the back of Eden Hazard’s boot at the other end and conceded a penalty.

The soft penalty left Arsenal in shock and instantly put them on the back foot, with Maitland-Niles being forced into a last-ditch interception. He did well.

Morata had the chance to put Chelsea 2-1 ahead but was useless and missed.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before Alonso did put Chelsea ahead thanks to terrible defending.

In the last minute of normal time, Bellerin made up for his earlier mistake by scoring a brilliant equaliser.

Fortunately, we got a point, but I can shake the feeling that the penalty completely disrupted us. We should have made subs, we should have pulled our pants up and got on with it. We deserved to win.

Previous articleArsenal’s 2017 review: July/August/September
Next articleMesut masterclass & Super Jack: Arsenal player ratings v Chelsea
A twenty-something writer living in North London. Likes caffeine, food that’s bad for her and Arsenal. Dislikes avocados, rudeness and Arsenal.