Arsenal managed to completely tear BATE Borisov apart during their final Europa League group stage match.

Although Arsenal should always have smashed BATE Borisov at the Emirates, we’ve proven time and time again that our Europa League clashes don’t always go the way we want them to. Fortunately, this time it did.

After a half-arsed BATE Borisov attack within the opening minute of the game, the first real chance fell to a Mohamed Elneny who hit the right goal post.

From this point onward, Arsenal began to turn the screw, albeit tentatively at first. Theo Walcott was making plenty of runs through the middle and Jack Wilshere was also conducting play effectively during the opening exchanges.

The first goal fell to an unlikely man: Mathieu Debuchy playing at centre-back. The Frenchman, who’s yet to make a Premier League appearance this term, took advantage of a stray ball that had rolled away from Theo as he was tackled in the box.

The finish was something you’d expect from a seasoned goalscorer – a firm and deliberate stroke of the ball into the back of the net.

Arsenal continued to dominated the possession and chances with Olivier Giroud joining in on the action. The big striker and Theo were causing BATE all sorts of problems; both obviously trying to get on the score sheet following Debuchy’s screamer.

BATE were terrible except for their goalkeeper. They even almost scored an own goal before the half-hour mark. Their only saving grace was that the home side were still only 1-0 up at this stage. Although not for long.

All five Arsenal fans at the Emirates held their breaths as Wilshere was knocked over and stayed down for a few seconds but he was fine.

The Gunners’ second goal fell to Theo. To be fair, the forward had been putting it about a bit so far and he deserved the goal. Olivier Giroud started the attack after picking the ball up in midfielder and passed to Danny Welbeck.

The striker looked as if he’d fluffed his chance as he strode forward in the box. However, as the ball ran away from him, a BATE player put a foot out and accidentally poked the ball to Theo, who had come steaming in. The 28-year-old hit the ball home from close range.

Minutes later, Wilshere had a stunning shot tipped over the bar by BATE’s answer to David de Gea. However, there’s only so long you can keep a player like Wilshere out when he’s up for it and the midfielder scored his first goal of the season just before half-time.

At the break, the Gunners had enjoyed almost 80% of the possession and had taken 15 shots to BATE’s one.

The second half got underway and it did look as if BATE were going to try and play football. However, their second shot of the game was far too soft and easily collected by David Ospina, who probably napped his way through the first half.

Unfortunately for the visitors, it was only going to get worse as their centre-back netted an own goal, which was actually really good. Oops.

Whenever Arsenal got forward – which was very often since BATE were mentally already on the flight home – they looked dangerous.

In the 63rd, the Gunners were given a penalty when Theo was brought down in the box, which Giroud had to take twice. The 31-year-old make no mistake the second time. It was now 5-0 to Arsenal.

At this stage, Arsene Wenger decided it was time to give one or two more youngsters a run out and put Reiss Nelson on for Theo.

Elneny then made it 6-0, which he deserved after he hit the post in the first half.

An empathetic win to round off the Europa League group stage. Nice.