Arsenal are reportedly yet to approach Jack Wilshere with a new deal despite Arsene Wenger previously insisting it would be sorted in December.
The 25-year-old now had just six months on his current deal. However, Wenger insisted last month that the midfielder’s future would be sorted in December.
“I said many times that [Wilshere’s future] would be decided in December,” Wenger said on November 1. “I wanted to give him six months not to think about that and see where we go.”
Perhaps this means that Wenger has decided his future and it’s not in north London. That seems unlikely, however.
If Jack’s still not been offered a contract extension from Arsenal by January, he’s free to talk to other clubs outside of the Premier League over a potential move. Then, by June, he’ll be able to go wherever he wants on a free.
Wenger has always been a fan of Jack’s and the player does seem to want to stay. However, if a new deal hasn’t even so much as been offered yet, you do have to wonder whether we’re being told the full story.
As usual, I doubt it.
The England international is yet to make a start in the Premier League and, at the age of 25, you have to imagine that for the sake of his career he might have to look elsewhere.
With this contract situation, it seems we won’t know until we know. Unlike Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez’s deals, where we have an idea that they’re probably not going to sign extensions, it’s hard to tell with Jack.
Selfishly, I want him to stay and fight.