Liverpool have reportedly made a £55m bid for Monaco winger, Thomas Lemar, who Arsenal were heavily linked with throughout the summer.
Following Arsenal’s 4-0 thumping at the hands of Liverpool on Sunday, the Telegraph claim that the Merseyside club have made a £55m bid for former Gunners target, Lemar.
Arsene Wenger recently claimed Arsenal’s pursuit of the 21-year-old was ‘dead’ given that Monaco were reluctant to sell yet another player. So far this summer, they’ve allowed Tiemoue Bakayoko, Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva to sign for Chelsea and Manchester City respectively.
“It’s dead because Monaco has closed the door,” the boss said ahead of Arsenal’s trip to Anfield.
“They are still on cases like Kylian Mbappe and Fabinho (who are set to join Paris St-Germain).
“They’ve already lost (Benjamin) Mendy, Bernardo Silva and (Tiemoue) Bakayoko.“So Monaco is at a stage where they have closed the door.”
Kylian Mbappe is also said to be completing a season-long loan move to Ligue 1 rivals, Paris Saint-Germain, with the French giants having an obligation to buy him for £166m next year.
While Mbappe was allegedly also on Arsenal’s radar and Wenger did express interest in him previously, there’s no way the Gunners would be throwing around the kind of cash that PSG are obviously willing to. However, the Lemar deal appeared to practically be a done deal just weeks ago.
Arsenal were reportedly ready to pay £55m themselves earlier in the summer before Wenger announced that the deal was off. They were supposedly just waiting to offload some players first in order to get their finances sorted. Clearly that didn’t happen.
If the Gunners lose out on another talented player for what appears to be no good reason, on top of the poor team performances from existing players that fans have had to witness for so long, it’s not going to look good.
Meanwhile, the Daily Star insists that the deal is still ‘on’, despite Wenger’s claims, but Arsenal will have to pay £60m to bring the France international to north London.