Leicester City are reportedly set to reject Roma’s ‘final’ offer of £31.8m for Riyad Mahrez.

Roma have made it clear to Leicester that they won’t be bidding for Mahrez again after making an alleged offer of £31.8m. However, the Foxes are set to reject it, potentially leaving the winger in transfer limbo ahead of deadline day on 31 August.

“In the last press conference I said we had bid what we believe to be a fair offer, which is also the biggest in the club’s history,” Roma’ director of football, Monchi, said last week.

“We won’t bid again. We’ve conducted ourselves in the right way by talking to Leicester City. Now the ball is in their court.”

The Serie A club have reportedly had bids of £20m and £26m turned down, which is far below Leicester’s £50m valuable.

Perhaps, since Arsenal had been the only other club seriously linked, the Italians were banking on the Foxes giving them a cut-price so as not to have to sell the 26-year-old to a fellow Premier League team.

WOLVERHAMPTON, ENGLAND – JULY 29: Riyad Mahrez of Leicester in action during the pre-season friendly match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Leicester City at Molineux on July 29, 2017 in Wolverhampton, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Mahrez has made his desire to leave Leicester crystal clear, even publicly pushing his current club to speak with Roma. However, after winning player of the season in 2015/16, the Algeria international’s form has taken a dip. He scored just six Premiership goals last term.

Arsenal stopped being linked with Mahrez when it appeared that Leicester had broken the news to them that they wanted £50m, which the star was apparently livid about.

The Gunners then turned their attention to Monaco winger, Thomas Lemar. However, it now appears that that deal has also fallen through, so you never know, perhaps we might see a last-minute transfer deadline day move for the Leicester man.

I doubt it but stranger things have happened.