Barcelona, Liverpool and Manchester City have all reportedly entered the race to sign Monaco winger, Thomas Lemar.
Arsenal have more or less been the only club heavily linked with Lemar so far this summer and despite Monaco apparently playing hardball, having rejected two of the Gunners’ previous bids, talks have been said to be ongoing for a while now.
However, according to L’Equipe [via GFFN] Barcelona, as well as City and Liverpool, have now shown an interest in the France international.
Thomas Lemar realises a move to Barcelona now could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, but Arsenal have not given up – L'Équipe.
— Get French Football (@GFFN) August 4, 2017
Allegedly, if the Catalan giants do come for Lemar this summer, the 21-year-old will try and force a move, given how big an opportunity he believes this would be.
Until now, the youngster, who scored 14 goals and assisted 17 last season, has supposedly seemed unfazed, although other reports have insisted that he wants a move in order to work under Arsene Wenger in north London.
Barca will have the £198m from Neymar’s move to PSG burning a hole in their pocket, so they’re hardly unable to afford Lemar, who Monaco apparently now want up to £60m for.
Whether the interest from other clubs is genuine or not remains to be seen.
Arsenal, who have been consistently linked with Lemar for weeks now, are said to be hanging in there, which isn’t exactly exciting news. Therefore, perhaps the press are trying to ruffle a few feathers and add some spice to what’s becoming a pretty dull story.
What we do know is that Wenger has confirmed the Gunners interest in Lemar and the boss most likely wouldn’t do that unless he had a valid reason to believe they’re going to be successful. I could be wrong though. Very, very wrong.