Deportivo’s manager, Pepe Mel, is confident that club president, Tino Fernandez, will manage to sign Lucas Perez from Arsenal, or a similar player, this summer.
After losing 3-0 to Real Madrid on Sunday, Pepe Mel was predictably asked about Deportivo’s pursuit of former player, Lucas.
The manager seems confident that the Spanish club will get their forward but, if not, he has faith that president Fernandez will find someone else suitable. Not that he’s not already happy with his current squad, he was quick to add.
“I told you that when the president proposes things he usually gets them and I trust him,” the former West Brom boss said, reports Mundo Deportivo.
“If it is not Luke, it will be another. The market is not finished and we have to wait, but I can say that I am happy with the people I have, calm with the team that I have at my disposal, which competes well.”
Arsenal are still said to be holding out for more money for Lucas despite several clubs allegedly showing interest in the 28-year-old.
The Gunners reportedly want £13.7m. Under £4m what they paid Deportivo in the first place last summer. The Spanish side, however, are supposedly only willing to cough up £10.9m.
Dick Law was said to be on the case all weekend but who knows if any progress has been made.
Lucas handed in a transfer request earlier in the month after becoming increasingly unhappy with his lack of playing time since moving to north London.
Despite already having one foot out the door, the Spaniard also kicked up a fuss when his #9 shirt was given to new signing, Alexandre Lacazette.
Newcastle, Everton, Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia, Levante and Galatasaray are the other clubs being linked with a move for the forward.