Reiss Nelson and Eddie Nketiah scored twice as Arsenal U23s ran out 4-3 winners against Manchester City U23 at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal lined up in a 3-4-2-1 again, with Rob Holding playing on the right of the back three after his omission against Stoke, and Jack Wilshere in central midfield as he continued his comeback from injury, reports

Julio Pleguezuelo returned to the team after his loan with Mallorca last season, while Ainsley Maitland-Niles played right wing back. Up front was the exciting trio of Reiss Nelson, Donyell Malen and Eddie Nketiah.

Arsenal took an early lead when Nelson surged up the left flank, played a quick give-and-go with DaSilva and drove the ball in at the near post from the edge of the area.

Five minutes later it was 2-0. Maitland-Niles weaved his way into the City penalty area and put the ball on a plate for Nketiah, who blasted it in from close range.

City pulled a goal back on the half hour mark. A floated cross from the left flank found Matthew Smith, who snuck into the penalty area with a late run. All alone at the back post, the Welsh midfielder buried the header.

It didn’t take long for Arsenal to restore their two goal advantage. A poor touch in midfield turned the ball over to Jack Wilshere, and he slid a pass through City’s backline to Nketiah. The promising striker took his shot first time, lifting the ball over the City keeper into the far corner.

Arsenal started the second half well in control of the game, and on 56 minutes added a fourth. Wilshere’s pass from deep found the run of DaSilva down the left. He cut the ball back to Nelson, and in-form winger stroked the ball into the far corner.

With four goals from his last two games, it might not be long before Nelson is making his first-team debut for the club.

Things turned sour after a late challenge from Smith on Wilshere. Upset with the tackle, Wilshere pushed Smith over and looked about ready to take everyone on. The ref produced a red card for the 25-year-old.

Down to 10 men, Arsenal struggled to control the game. Brahim Diaz made it 4-2, before a clumsy challenge from Bielik gave City a penalty. Lukas Nmecha put the penalty right into the top corner, setting up a nervy finish for Arsenal.

Arsenal, though, managed to hold out for the final 15 minutes to secure a very good 4-3 win.