Arsenal will host League One side Doncaster Rovers in the third round of the Carabao Cup.
The draw for the third round of the Carabao Cup – formerly known as the EFL Cup, Capital One Cup, Carling Cup and so on – took place at 4:15am in China, reports the Daily Mail.
Arsenal were handed a home tie against Doncaster. The Gunners last played Rovers in this competition way back in 2005. We had a very tough time of it, requiring a last minute equaliser from Gilberto in extra-time to send the game to penalties. We won the shootout 3-1. You’d hope for an easier time of it this time round.
The game will take place on September 19 or 20. As it’ll be just a few days after a trip to Chelsea, expect a lot of squad rotation by Arsene Wenger. Arsenal don’t have the best record in the competition either.
Elsewhere in the draw, Liverpool were handed a difficult tie away to Leicester City. Manchester City will face set-piece hell at West Brom. Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs were all given home ties against lower league opposition, and will play Burton Albion, Nottingham Forest and Barnsley/Derby County respectively.
Below is the third round draw in full:
- West Bromwich Albion vs. Manchester City
- Everton vs. Sunderland
- Leicester City vs. Liverpool
- Manchester United vs. Burton Albion
- Brentford vs. Norwich City
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Bristol Rovers
- Burnley vs. Leeds United
- Arsenal vs. Doncaster Rovers
- Bristol City vs. Stoke City
- Reading vs. Swansea City
- Aston Villa vs. Middlesbrough
- Chelsea vs. Nottingham Forest
- West Ham United vs. Bolton Wanderers
- Crystal Palace vs. Huddersfield Town
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Barnsley/Derby County
- AFC Bournemouth vs. Brighton & Hove Albion