Arsene Wenger has admitted that he isn’t all that sure that Per Mertesacker will start against Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday despite the BFG being one of Arsenal’s only centre-backs available.
- Laurent Koscielny misses final through suspension
- Shkodran Mustafi hasn’t trained after illness
- Gabriel is sidelined for six-to-eight weeks
- Arsene Wenger considers formation change due to injury crisis
- Wenger admits starting XI will depend on formation
Per has racked up a grand total of 37 minutes this season after undergoing knee surgery last summer and taking a while to fully recover.
The German was subbed on for the injured Gabriel during Arsenal’s 3-1 win against Everton on the final day of the Premier League season and is therefore expected to start against Chelsea at the weekend since Koscielny (suspension), Mustafi (illness) and Gabriel (injury), are all out.
However, due to his lack of fitness, Wenger is understandably unsure about starting the club’s captain in such a huge game.
“He has not played 90 minutes for a long time,” Wenger said.
“He has the leadership qualities. So it depends a little bit on the system I will go for, the system I will choose.”