Arsenal have managed to close the gap between fifth and fourth to just one point ahead of Liverpool’s trip to West Ham on Sunday.

The Gunners traveled to Stoke once again needing a win if they were to keep their top four hopes alive.

With Manchester City beating Leicester 2-1 during Saturday’s early kick-off, the final standings are still out of Arsenal’s hands. However, dropping points at the bet365 Stadium would most certainly knock Arsene Wenger’s side out of the running.

Arsenal began brighter with Stoke, as usual, happy to sit back and let the likes of Granit Xhaka and Mesut Ozil pass the ball around.

Early chances fell to Oliver Giroud and Alexis Sanchez. However, they were both caught offside.

Shkodran Mustafi also had an early headed chance tipped over the bar.

After 13 minutes, one of the most noteworthy talking points of the match so far was a plane trailing a banner which said “Wenger – Out Means Out” flying over the bet365 Stadium.

Arsenal remained comfortably on top with Nacho Monreal hitting the woodwork and Mesut Ozil threading through some beautiful passes.

The first yellow of the game went to Mustafi. Although it was deserved, Ryan Shawcross had his hands all over Giroud for most of the game and hadn’t even had a talking to from referee Mike Dean.

After being on top for the entire first half, Giroud finally put Arsenal 1-0 ahead before half-time.

With the wind in their sails, Arsenal started the second half in the same way as the first, dominating Stoke and looking totally comfortable.

In the 55th minute, Ozil and Alexis linked up in typically stunning fashion to double Arsenal’s lead.

Shortly before Ryan ‘Not That Type of Player’ Shawcross elbowed Giroud in the head.

Somehow, despite playing terribly, Stoke managed to pull one back through Peter Crouch’s hand.

Soon after Crouch’s own goal, the match descended into chaos with Dean allowing fouls to go unpunished and completely losing control of the game.

It didn’t take long before Alexis was brought down and asked to come off.

However, despite being barely able to walk, Alexis managed to score and put Arsenal 3-1 up.

Minutes later, Giroud rubbed salt in Stoke’s wound by putting the Gunners 4-1 ahead.