A scrappy first half followed by a much improved second and superb extra time display meant that Arsenal are in the FA Cup final.

With Arsenal’s new back three not exactly playing entirely convincingly against Middlesbrough on Monday, it’s fair to say that Gooners weren’t exactly full of hope heading into their FA Cup semi-final clash against City.

City started brightly with their fans in full voice. The Gunners didn’t look as s**t scared as they have done in big games recently, so that was a plus but other than that, they weren’t creating much during the opening exchanges.

The first glimmer of hope for Arsenal came in the 13th minute down the left hand side through Nacho Monreal and Alexis Sanchez who managed to get in behind City for the first time.

Granit Xhaka, apparently, was lucky not to have a yellow card within the first 16 minutes because, you know, he’s the only play that ever fouls anyone at all.

Meanwhile, Arsenal continued to look unconvincing.


Even though Laurent Koscielny managed to score from a free-kick, it was offside, and David Silva went off injured, indicating that it was an earlier tackle from Gabriel that hurt him. Raheem Sterling came on in his place.



Around the 25-minute mark, Alexis Sanchez picked up a harsh yellow card.

City had a penalty on Sergio Aguero waved away after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain tried to tackle him from behind. Even Arsenal fans were left divided on whether it should have been given.

It seemed that for the first time in history, Arsenal’s tactics were to kick City off the pitch.

In the 40th minute, City had a goal ruled out with the linesman claiming the ball went out of play… it didn’t…

Although Arsenal were lucky not to be 1-0 down, minutes later they were unlucky not to have a penalty given for Jesus Navas bundling over Alexis in the box during a free-kick at the other end.

With that, the first half was over.

Arsenal started the second half far brighter than the first.

With a spring in the Gunners’ step, the Gooners at Wembley rallied behind their team.

Despite Arsenal looking the best they had all match, City went ahead through Aguero, catching the Gunners on the break.




Arsenal equalised through an unlikely source in the 71st minute: Nacho Monreal.

However, the goal itself was all about the Ox, who delivered a peach of a cross for the Spaniard to smash home.

At the other end, Petr Cech managed to (sort of) make up for his terrible attempt at saving Aguero’s goal and pulled off a spectacular finger-tip save.


Mesut Ozil could have put Arsenal 2-1 ahead. He was one-on-one with the keeper. But his confidence still isn’t there, he dawdled and was dispossessed.

Not long after, City hit the woodwork twice in the space of five minutes.




With Welbeck’s fresh legs on the pitch, Arsenal continued to look dangerous while City also threatened on the break.

With Arsenal on top, the tie went to extra time.




With Arsenal still the better team, it was Alexis Sanchez to put his side 2-1 ahead.

The Ox was taken off for Bellerin, which raised some important questions about his hair.

Arsenal fans then had to watch their team defend their one goal lead until the end of extra time.