Mesut Özil has confirmed talks over a long-awaited contract extension are on hold until the summer prompting the stupidest question at Friday’s press conference.

The creative midfielder, 28, has been linked with a move away from the Emirates for almost a full season now. With just over a year remaining on his existing contract, questions have been continually asked as to whether he would remain at the club or sign a new deal.

In the same boat as Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alexis Sanchez, to name just a few, contract negotiations have proven tough given his high demands.

Unsurprisingly, Arsenal’s wage structure has been the cause of much debate in recent seasons. Their inability to pay high wages compared to the likes of United, Chelsea and City, has been highlighted as a significant reason why they fail to attract more marquee players on a regular basis.

Arsenal’s recent form has been nothing short of distressing, to say the least. Seven defeats in the last 12 matches across all competitions, an embarrassing Champions League exit and another limp league challenge has intensified calls for serious change this summer.

ozil bay
LONDON, ENGLAND – MARCH 07: Mesut Ozil of Arsenal looks dejected in defeat after the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 second leg match between Arsenal FC and FC Bayern Muenchen at Emirates Stadium on March 7, 2017 in London, United Kingdom. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Arsenal are seven points off the top-four places and Mesut has publicly stated his eagerness to focus firmly on football first before contractual matters come into play.

When questioned about a new deal he said, “At the moment it would be wrong to think about that. The team are having a more difficult spell and at this stage I am not important, no other player is important, what is important is the club.

We’ve got aims we want to meet this season, there is still lots for us to play for. We still desperately want to qualify for the Champions League for next season as well. We will talk in the summer and clear things then but at the moment what is important is Arsenal, not me or any other players,” Ozil continued.

Encouraging words from a player who clearly knows that improvement is needed, from himself included, before the subject of increased wages can be discussed given how integral he is to the team.

At his press conference on Friday, Arsene Wenger was actually asked if this news was a disappointment to him. Given that Wenger has previously said that talks were on hold until the summer, he replied that it was not.

Previous articleSead Kolašinac signs for Arsenal – Bosnian report
Next articleArsenal aim to retain Francis Cagigao with new role
Football writer. Objective reviews and analysis of European football. Lifelong Arsenal fan, youth football enthusiast.