The first game of the season between Arsenal and Liverpool resulted in a scrappy, odd goal-fest, which highlighted our weaknesses for all to see.

Arsenal were the first to get forward in the third minute thanks to a blistering run from Hector Bellerin. However, the right-back’s cross into the centre was over-hit and Alexis Sanchez was lucky to salvage the ball and get a corner, which came to nothing.

The Gunners continued to pass around Liverpool’s half for the opening exchanges, with Theo Walcott poking a lovely ball sideways to Aaron Ramsey in the area. Unfortunately, the midfielder failed to score but it was promising play.

In the ninth minute, Rob Holding made a huge pass forward, showing immense confidence considering it was his first competitive game since signing for Arsenal.

Liverpool made their first attempt forward in the 11th minute but Roberto Firmino fluffed it.

After this, the Merseyside team started to creep into the game, bit by bit. However, the next best chance of the game once again fell to Ramsey in the 14th minute but the Welshman was blocked. So far, so good (not the blocking part, of course).

As the match wore on and Arsenal started to relax a bit, there was some lovely link-up play between Ramsey and Walcott. However, there was something lacking in midfield and a real sense of anxiety whenever Liverpool did attack with players stepping off and allowing the opposition to put in passes. Jurgen Klopp is renowned for liking his teams to press, so this was hardly a surprise. I’m not sure why we weren’t more prepared.

Sure enough, as Liverpool realised how nervous we were at the back, they began to gently apply more pressure, getting closer and closer each time they went forward.

In the 28th minute we got given a penalty when Moreno slid into Theo. The forward took it but shot straight at Simon Mignolet. However, less than two minutes later, Francis Coquelin put in a superb tackle in order for Theo to get the ball back; he surged forward and slotted the ball expertly into the net.

Arsenal then had the momentum and continued to threaten while Liverpool found it hard to string passes together.

Annoyingly, just before half-time, Rob Holding gave away a silly free-kick, which Courtinho scored. Back to square one.

Liverpool started the second half the brighter team and within minutes went 2-1 ahead through Adam Lallana. With Coquelin already on a yellow, he was completely useless.

It was only going to get worse though, with Courtinho putting the visitors 3-1 ahead in the 56th minute. The goal was annoyingly lovely.

Our first substitution came in the 59th minute when we took off Alex Iwobi, who hadn’t had a bad game, for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Worryingly, Ramsey went down soon after and was taken off for Santi Cazorla.

Everything then went a bit crazy. Mane shortly made it 4-1. Another beautiful goal.

The Ox pulled one back less than a minute later to bring the scoreline to 4-2.

Finally, in the 67th minute, Granit Xhaka was introduced in place of Elneny.

Luckily for Arsenal (I guess?) Courtinho went down seemingly injured and was subbed off.

Calum Chambers was the next to score for Arsenal. The match had well and truly gone awry by this stage. 4-3 to Liverpool.

Both teams were playing scrappy, chaotic football and it was more than a little strange to watch. Xhaka got booked, deservedly so, but, to be fair, he’d been thrown right in the deep end.

Despite still being end-to-end until the last minute, our opening match ended with us losing 4-3 to Liverpool.