Mesut Ozil is the joint-best playmaker in Europe.
The list, which was compiled by the CIES Football Observatory, has the much-maligned Arsenal man in top spot along with Chelsea’s Eden Hazard and it’s quite something to think about how the two are portrayed in the media.
The contrast could not be more stark.
Ozil is criticised at every turn while Hazard is lauded as being one of the best players in the world and in-line to be nominated as player of the season.
The list was compiled using a number of metrics including:
- Shooting: ability to take advantage of goal opportunities through accurate shooting
- Chance creation: ability to put teammates in a good position to score
- Take on: ability to create dangerous situations by successfully challenging opponents
- Distribution: ability to keep a hold on the game through efficient passing
- Recovery: ability to minimise goal opportunities for opponents through proficient interception work
- Rigour: ability to minimise goal opportunities for opponents through robust duelling
The list in full:
TOP 10 ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS
=1. Mesut Ozil, Arsenal (100)
=1. Eden Hazard, Chelsea (100)
3. Jesus Navas, Man City (86)
4. Kevin de Bruyne, Wolfsburg (85)
5. Shinji Kagawa, Borussia Dortmund (84)
6. Marek Hamsik, Napoli (79)
7. David Silva, Man City (77)
8. Maximilian Meyer, Schalke (73)
=9. Roberto Pereyra, Juventus (72)
=9. Javier Pastore, PSG (72)
That noise you hear is the sound of Paul Scholes crying.