Arsenal got over their defeat against Watford by beating Everton convincingly at Goodison Park, with a 5-2 win.

Aaron Ramsey had an early chance for the Gunners, as Mesut Özil played him in on the keeper. The Welshman set himself well but his shot went just wide of the target when he maybe should’ve done better.

A minute later Alexis was through on goal, but took it too far wide and ended up only winning a corner, although there was some contention as Pickford appeared to take out the Chilean off the ball.

Before the first 10 minutes were up, the final member of the Arsenal front-three got involved, as Lacazette took a shot from a very tight angle, and followed that up with a one-on-one that was well saved after a good touch by the Frenchman. It was the first time the trio had started a match together in the two months since the season began.

But of course, the Gunners were punished for failing to take their chances. Granit Xhaka was dispossessed and the ball fell to Wayne Rooney, who curled one in to the top corner to give Everton an early lead.

Arsenal looked wobbly for a few minutes, but then started to respond after a free-kick from Alexis Sanchez and a couple of chances for Aaron Ramsey.

The pace died down for the remainder of the opening half-hour, with only a couple of half-chances for each team. Ashley Williams, already on a yellow card, can count himself lucky that he didn’t get a second when taking down Lacazette off the ball. Perhaps that’s why he was subbed off for Tom Davies at half-time.

But finally Arsenal managed to take one of their chances, as Granit Xhaka’s shot was palmed out to Nacho Monreal, who finished more clinically than any of his attacking counterparts to give the Gunners an equaliser and make it 1-1.

Arsenal continued to take the initiative towards the end of the first-half, but couldn’t take the lead and went into the break on level terms.

With Everton switching to a back-four, the Gunners continued to put them under pressure in the second half, with a couple of early chances. But when Everton did start to get forward, Arsenal punished them, with an impressive counter attack.

All of Arsenal’s attacking trio were involved, with Lacazette setting Alexis free on the left-hand side. Alexis then chipped the ball in for Mesut Özil running into the box, who directed in a deft yet powerful header to put Arsenal 2-1 up in the 53rd minute.

Things just got worse for Everton, when Idrissa Gueye dived in on Granit Xhaka. It was a stupid challenge for any player to commit, but especially Gueye, as he was already on a yellow card. He picked up his second yellow and Everton were down to 10 men.

Not long later, the Gunners added their third of the game. Alexis released Özil on the right-hand side, and Mesut carried the ball forward before playing in Lacazette, who finished well for his first of the season away from home.

Lacazette was then withdrawn for Wilshere, and Özil for Coquelin, as the Gunners tried to hold the lead. But it was Arsenal that continued to pour forward against the 10-men. Granit Xhaka hit the bar with a long-range effort, and Wilshere was unlucky not to pick out Ramsey for an open goal.

Then Wilshere did manage to pick out Ramsey for a fourth goal with a nice through ball, in the first of a few late goals. The next went Everton’s way, as Čech wanted too much time on the ball from a poor Monreal back-pass, and Niasse pounced to make it 4-2.

But it wasn’t over, as Ramsey played in Alexis, who decided to take on half of the Everton defence before finally shooting and scoring his first league goal of the season.

A very good result, that perhaps could’ve been even better, but overall the performance was just what Arsenal needed after last week.

Mesut Ozil was named man of the match after creating eight chances – more than any other player in the Premier League this season.