Newcastle are reportedly planning an £8m move for Kieran Gibbs.
- Lofty transfer fee and wages demands could see Gibbs stay until the end of his contract
- West Ham and Crystal Palace possible destinations for Gibbs
- Arsenal apparently asking for £8m for Gibbs – not £15m as was previously reported
- West Ham, Crystal Palace, and Watford also linked
- Newcastle reluctant to pay left-back’s £70kpw wages
With just one year left on his current deal with Arsenal, it’s been widely reported that Gibbs will move this summer, and it appears that Newcastle are allegedly willing to pay £8m for the left-back.
While the transfer fee is comparatively low, the Magpies are a little reluctant to meet the 27-year-old’s wage demands seeing as he earns £70k-per-week in north London.
However, Rafa Benitez is reportedly keen to bolster Newcastle’s newly promoted squad this summer.
Gibbs has been at Arsenal since 2004 but has consistently struggled for game time with the first team, which has been largely down to a string of injuries plaguing his career.
In total, since being brought up into the Gunners’ senior squad in 2007, Gibbs has made just 137 Premier League appearances. These come to a combined 9,301 minutes, which averages out as under 68 minutes per appearance.
Last season was no different, with the Englishman featuring just 22 times across all competitions.
The defender has also spent a concerning 462 days sidelined since 2009.
While the Arsenal fans like him, after signing Schalke left-back, Sead Kolasinac, the club have obviously decided that now’s the time to cut ties with Kieran Gibbs.