Over the summer, Jamie Vardy made the decision, thankfully, to turn Arsenal down.
While I never wanted him in the first place (check the site, it’s all here), it’s easy to seem like you’re simply being a smartarse with hindsight.
So did Arsenal lose out by having to sign Lucas Perez, especially given the Spaniard’s inexplicable inability to get a start in the side.
Don’t be so daft.
READ MORE: Why is Perez not starting for Arsenal?
Personally I think Jamie Vardy should do another interview about turning Arsenal down.
— Jonny (@JonnyOneill) January 14, 2017
Let’s have a look at the two players, Lucas first, Vardy second. The red bold ones are the metrics in which Lucas has been better, red with no bold, they are both equal.
- Age: 28 v 30
- Premier League goals: 1 v 5
- Premier League assists: 0 v 2
- Premier League minutes: 218 v 1,341
- Champions League goals: 3 v 0
- Champions League assists: 2 v 0
- Champions League minutes: 118 v 425
- FA Cup goals: 0 v 0
- FA Cup assists: 1 v 0
- FA Cup minutes: 90 v 0
- EFL Cup goals: 2 v 0
- EFL Cup assists: 1 v 0
- EFL Cup minutes: 252 v 44
- Total goals: 6 v 6
- Total assists: 4 v 4
- Minutes per goal: 117 v 316.6
- Minutes per assist: 169.5 v 475
- Goal involvement every: 67.8 v 190
- Premier League pass completion rate: 78% v 66%
- Champions League pass completion rate: 69% v 63%
- Yellow cards: 1 v 4
- Red cards: 0 v 1
- Injuries: 1 (ankle, 36 days, 8 games) v 0 (but served 3-game suspension)
- Transfer fee: £17m v £20m